Saturday, April 9, 2011

Kicking off......with A Personal Experience

Even with limited knowledge and experiences in ICT, I did not consume too many neurons to figure out that Telemedicine, enabled by advancement in ICT, will eventually re-structure how health care services are delivered. According to American Telemedicine Association (ATA), Telemedicion is defined as the exchange of medical information from one site to another through information and communication technologies with the aim to improve the treatment of patients.

Although I have been hearing about various cases where patients' lives had been saved through the collective efforts of doctors, surgeons, and specailists via telemedicine, my first personal encounter to this method was in a cloudy day in 2007 when I went to Jinxiang Pharmacy, the largest chain in Beijing, but forgot my perscription from the doctor. Just as I was scratching my head, one of the pharmacist asked about my symptoms and told me that I could get a new perscription in the pharmacy. Noticed my confusion and hesitation, the pharmacist told me that vedioconferencing was available through which I could consult with licensed doctors. Unwilling to drive back to the hospital because of the traffic and waiting, I tried this new technology and after 20 minutes I was able to go home with the same perscribed drugs without any hassle.

Although only limited diagnose and care could be provided through this vedioconferencing technology in this pharmacy, it allowed many patients to avoid the crowdness and waiting in a regular public hospital. This service has been a good complementarity to Jinxiang's online order and free delivery services for OTC drugs.

Instead of going through all the hassle in terms of traffic and waiting as well as the risk of cross-infection at hospitals, now patients could get their medication at home or within walking distance because Jinxiang is everywhere. Using telemedicine together with other ICT technologies, Jinxiang becomes the real one-stop basic healthcare center for a large number patients in Beijing.

No comments:

Post a Comment